- Me in my head: oof, my feet kinda hurt. Were these shoes worth it?
- Boss: oh my god I love those shoes
- Me in my head: yes, yes they were
"And for my next trick, I’ll know what I’m doing with my life!”
The audience gasps and applauds. I am a master of illusion.
OK team. We’re about a month and a half out from Halloween so its about time to start asking the big question — what will this year’s costume be? My costumes in recent memory have followed a theme of nerdy with a side of slutty. Last year I wore a full body Pink Power Ranger outfit, and the year before I was Sexy Batman (there was a corset involved.) For this year, I think I’ve narrowed my options down to Wonder Woman or Slave Leia.
1) this is probably my last chance to have a ridiculous Halloween costume before I become a real working person. So its gotta be awesome.
2) I’ve kind of always wanted to wear a Slave Leia outfit. Also if I go as Leia one of my girlfriends might go as Jabba. But the Slave Leia costumes available for purchase that I’ve found are either expensive and shitty or super awesome but super prohibitively expensive. So I would have to, like, try make it myself. Or ask mom to make it for me.
3) Wonder Woman would let me be a superhero for three years running. I also like the idea of being an explicitly feminist superhero. I would also probably run around being heroic all night.
So its time to commit. Which one do I do — Wonder Woman or Slave Leia?
This is a very enlightening article and it can be read in it’s entirety here, but it should also be noted that for all the restrictions listed, things were worse and even more restrictive for Black and other non-White women. And, while hinted at, this cannot be emphasized enough: some of the biggest beneficiaries of the Civil Rights Act and Affirmative Action were and are White women
It breaks my heart when people canvassing on the street try to stop me for their cause, especially when I’m walking to or from my internship. It’s like
Hey do you care about—I DO
Hey you look friendly—I AM
I’m just BROKE and I’m BUSY